I’m on a fit and strong journey to find my strongest self. Although I’ve had a number of missteps, one of the worst so far has been wasting a year of my life because I joined the wrong gym. I really wanted to share my experience and write a post about how to find a gym that’s right for you because it’s so important and makes such a difference to getting results.
I moved to a new city (hello Sydney!) at the end of 2016 and although I knew that I wanted to join a gym straight away I took my time to familiarise myself with my surroundings. When I was ready I had already researched the gyms that were close to home and work and I knew roughly what they provided. Read more
I love blogging. I’ve been a blogger for a long time in various different blogs. I’m blogging here now. I’d love to teach you how to blog!
Starting a new blog
Starting a new blog is like buying a new pair of shoes. Running shoes, not the Manolo Blahnik’s you’ve had your eye on for months and have saved every last cent for. No my friend, starting a new blog is more like going to the Nike store and picking out the shoes that you know will keep you comfortable for many miles on the road. A blog is great when it’s shiny and new but it needs work and there’s always room for improvement. As you evolve your blog does too – that’s what I love about blogging.
What I’ll be blogging about
My life has changed a lot since my older blogs. I used to blog secretly – my friends and family knew very little of my blogging and I used it as an outlet to discuss things happening in my life.
Life is so different now – I’ve changed my lifestyle and incorporated a lot of fitness and have some great goals I’m working toward. It’s very much a journey and I’m looking forward to sharing that on my blog.
I now live in Sydney, Australia which is a city begging to be explored. I love Sunday afternoon coastal walks and all of the great festivals and attractions that are around the city. It’s worth the flip side of expensive rents and long commutes.
I also love to travel. We go to Walt Disney World; a lot. I’m a huge Disney fan but I also love travelling in general. This year we’re going to New York and Las Vegas as well – I’m so excited! We’re also planning a trip back to Europe in 2019.
How can you start a blog?
I feel like if I’m blogging just for me – it’s a lifestyle blog but not much more than a diary and no one wants to read about my choice of Lululemon tights to pass their time – let’s be honest. One of my goals for this blog is to include something that helps others in every single post. As I’m now a bit of a veteran in setting up a blog and getting blogging I wanted to share how you can do this (it’s so easy!).
- Choose a name for your blog. This is important as you’ll need to set everything up so it reflects your blog name. From social media accounts, email and the web address where people can find you.
- Once you have a name you’ll need to decide where you’re going to host your blog.There are two options here, you can use a free website to host your blog like Blogspot or wordpress.com . These websites will host you on their platform and you can set up a blog for free. They have a number of great templates to choose from so you can customise the look and feel of your blog a little.
- If you want something more than what the free blog has to offer I recommend setting your blog up as self-hosted from the beginning. Self-hosted simply means that you own your domain name (www. address) and have purchased hosting or where your blog lives that is connected to your chosen domain name. I recommend this because as your blog grows you will control your own platform and have maximum flexibility. You’ll also be able to install wordpress.org which is powerful blog software that will give you ample flexibility.There are many places to purchase self hosted blogs and domain names. I recommend you look around and decide what works best for you, some sites will have specials on hosting and many will even give you a free domain name. Some of the most popular are Go Daddy, Bluehost and Squarespace. I personally use Go Daddy and purchased their wordpress hosting, they installed the software for me and within a matter of minutes I was ready to start setting things up.
- Now you’ll get to choose your theme which is basically the look and feel of your blog. I have purchased my themes in the past. I would recommend having a look at ETSY to find a theme that suits you this could be a reflection of your personality or simply how you want your blog to feel. Ensure you check your blog software and buy the correct template for whatever you choose to use. I use WordPress self-hosted on my domain name with the theme Irony by Hipster Themes.
- Finally, you’ll need to decide what plugins you want to use on your blog; these are little programs which help you with the look and feel. I suggest googling what is recommended for this as I could write about it but it would be a whole other post worth of content.
- When you’re happy with how you’ve set your blog up, which takes longer than expected if you want to play around a bit. You’re ready to blog!The only thing you really have to be set on is your blog name so you can set everything up how you want it from the beginning. Everything else can be changed later on.